A Brief History of the Penticton Soccer Club
The Penticton Soccer Club, as it is known today, started in 1954. Alf Preen was the first President and Jimmy Jenkins was the first Coach. The team played its first season in the Okanagan Valley Soccer League. Kamloops, Vernon, Kelowna, Osoyoos and Penticton were members of the League. The season was played in the fall and spring with the Royal Cup being the top prize played in May. Members of the team in the fall of 1954 were: Graham McLaren, Rob McLaren, Bob Conway, Wally Morgan, Ryan Conley, Charly Preen, George Brochu, Elmer Brochu, George Christy, Stan Kelly, Jim Johnson, Bob Rodledge, Casey Jong, Cherry Ritchy and Len Pinske. Tom McLaren and Charlie Goeckel joined the team in the spring of 1955. The team was called Queens Park Rangers and played their games at Queens Park. The team won the League and The Royal Cup in 1955 and 1956. Charlie Goeckel took over as Coach of the team in 1956 and remained as coach and manager for many years.
In 1957 we got our first sponsor and the team was called H.D.V. Construction. Peter Osborne, Nick Holtz, Helmut Gedig and Hermann Heyer had joined the team and we played quite well in The Okanagan Valley Soccer League, which now had teams from Revelstoke, North Kamloops, Cache Creek, Armstrong and second team from Kelowna joined the league. At one time the league had ten teams competing. In 1958 the team got a new sponsor and played as The Penticton Royalites.